Sunday 19 February 2012

My day posing as a make-up and hair stylist

Today i went on a make-up and hair course hosted by Blaze and i really enjoyed myself, one would even say it was a blazing success - yes obviously pun is intended.

The course was meant to have seven attendees but as luck would have it only me and another girl showed up and so it just meant the whole experience was a lot more intensive and concentrated more on us. Considering i am neither a make-up artist or hair stylist i had intended on blending myself into the scenery and learning some skills, but instead i got to see upclose the skills of blending, shading, contouring etc and then had the fun opportunity to be used as the model as well while looks were shown and then practised.

To begin with we were shown how to create a basic day look.
 Picture is off me - so snigger if you need to as i don't usually use myself, but i look good even if i do say so myself.
I think one of the key things learnt on this look is to apply foundation onto your hand and then use a brush to apply it to your face a little at a time. Gone are the days when i applied it like moisturiser and then wondered why my face felt heavy.
The eyes had a light base colour, followed by a v pattern in the outer corner to create the light day shading of the darker colour. The lighter colour was then blended into the rest of the eye, add in eyebrow definition and a couple of shaping tricks and its a nice, simple yet pretty eye look that could be applied for anything needed during daytime hours.
I'm a big gloss fiend and so after a lipstick was applied i did have a gloss on top, applied with the proper lip brush again to add to the finished quality being higher then smearing it on out the tube.
There is a light blush as again it is a daytime look and there we have it - look 1 - daytime make-up

For a night-time look it was the same process but you got to use deeper colours and really layer them up until the effect was as bold as you wanted to go. I'd never used liner gel before, but it helped create a really nice smokey eye effect, but without having a line too bold that it took attention away form the detail on the eyelid.

I have tried to zoom in on just the hair here so i hope you can see the details. Firstly i would just like to say that the doughnut hair thingymajig is one of my favourite things this week. Using a Kardasian picture as influence we scraped all the hair off the face and swept it back into a very high ponytail, secured with a hairband.
Next add doughnut over the ponytail and pull hair throught the middle The hair can then be pulled over the doughnut and pushed under the bun with a comb before being secured with grips. This can be done precisely and with hair spray or messily - depending on which look you go for. In this case one section is kept in the middle of the doughnut and then strand by strand twirled into pin curls.
The name pin curls do indeed allude to the fact that they are secured by pins, and with foresight unlike myself you will bring pins that match your hair colour. Little diamonte pins were added as a final finsihing touch by the tutor of the course and i think this would have made quite a nice wedding do - now if only i'd done this course two years ago haha nevermind.

 Mwah ha ha this is my test subject (thanks very much for your patience by the way if your reading this)
To start with the hair was curled to help with my pin and barrell curls as i was apprehensive on how my new 'skills' would play out. I threaded the hair through a doughnut and secured it slightly messy and then added in a range of barrell curls and pin curls. The lovely thing about hair is that it's s malleable that you can bend it a thousand ways before securing with pins. Here you can see that it doesn't have to be exact but can still look pretty. I added in a couple of diamonte pins in different colours that went really well against her hair colour. I had a lightbulb moment that her hair would be able to take a bit more 'bling' i guess is the right word and the hoops in the curls are actually my earrings. It may be just be but i think it works quite well.

 This is the other students creation of barrell curls around a ponytail and i love it, makes me feel all Karlie Kloss.

Overall i had a great day and when a free bag of goodies is thrown in for good measure what can i say except yay! The tutor we had was so nice and open to ALL the questions i threw at her, constantly throughout the day. The three of us fed of each other whilst learning which to me is uber-productive and if i had the chance to do it again i definately would.

Thanks to the girls i worked with today you made the time fly by and i expect good things from you in the future, i will be researching this so don't let me down :)

Ok that's my happy rant over with for the day, i'm going to de-grip my hair now as watching tv and eating pizza doesn't really fit with my fabulous up-do. However friends beware i am now armed with knowledge that has been fuelled by praise - you will be the victims of my trial and error practises in the future. You have been warned.

FrostinatorFashion xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts