Saturday 31 March 2012

I Heart Lindsey Kelk

I Heart Lindsey Kelk

I Heart New York

With the due date of my second 'unexpected' pregnancy looming I needed some literature to take me through the early days of having a newborn, as last time I spent 4 days in the hospital and during that time 'activities' are not exactly the first thing on your mind. Now usually I am a killer/thriller kind of gal, the darker the better and I don't usually deviate from this genre. However, in this case browsing in my local Waterstones it was the cover of the I Heart New York that caught my eye. (see above). My process in choosing a book is simple, I read to back and if I'm interested, I read the first page. By the end of the first page if I'm not hooked or intrigued then I put it back. Well it's safe to say that I was caught hook, line and sinker by the first page and it's probably the quickest I've ever read a book. 

(This can be brought on Amazon for £4.99 at the moment, by the way. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007288387/harpercollins2-21  )

I think what catching me with these books is its a situation that we see in books and movies all the time when the lead female goes through a tough time and then fixes it with a makeover or a bend and snap demo in the case of legally blonde and then they pick up the pieces and make it work to their advantage. The guy is usually shown at the break up event and then again after the makeover is completed so that self-satisfied moment can be reached, but in this book it doesn't happen like that. I am trying to explain the premise of the book, but know that in my excitement to rave about it I am likely to give away the key plot ideas and so instead I will say this. In a nutshell after the 'incident' she packs and leaves for New York in the heat of the moment and it ends up being the best thing that ever happened to her. Now secretly I think we've all that moment when things have gone bad and either a Bridget jones singing, ice cream, diary fuelled crusade to change kicks in, or we take the high road and don't let it get to us, but deep down with no kids or responsibilities I think given the chance we would all take off to another country as a form of detox, just for the experience of for nothing else.

Now hats of to Linsdsey Kelk, as the book is beautifully written and I'm one of these people who emotes what I'm reading; so the happy parts I've got a grin on my face, (which can make you look strange when your sitting bye yourself in costa, in your own little world) and so on and so forth, you get the idea. The lead character is fun, spontaneous and yet at the same time is all of us- unsure of what to do when suddenly faced with new surroundings. Now add to this the characters shall we call it addiction to designer labels and the good things in life (alcohol, food, tv) she becomes a well rounded down to earth character who I felt I had a lot in common with.  I think the best books are the ones where you get so involved in the world created within the pages that you want to find time to curl up with this book because your invested and excited about what's going to happen with this character. When this girl shops she blows a wedge load at a time and as a fashion lover when Phillip lim and Marc Jacobs come up as the items being brought it peaks a whole other category of appreciation.

"she smiled and finished off the collection of luxury leather in front of her with the most beautiful, beautiful bag I had ever laid my eyes on." (Marc Jacobs) "I reached out to stroke its buttery softness, the dark brown of the leather looked like milk chocolate and the subtle gold detailing winked at me. 'buy me', it whispered tantalisingly. 'I complete you. ' " extract from book when she buys her MJ bag.

Now I know that not all my followers are from the UK, and so I have included the pic below that not only shows the 5 books Kelk has written to date, but also the international covers, you have no excuse about tracking it down.

(picture taken from Lindsey Kelk's website http://lindseykelk.com/ )

The top three (New York, Hollywood and Paris) are on my shelf and now I wait with baited breathe as Kelk comes back to her roots in penning I Heart London. I will hold my hand up and admit I gave myself one of the happy clap moments when I found this out. Geek I hear you say? Well yes, but proud of it.

So there you have it, I heart Lindsey Kelk as an author and I heart the character Angela for letting me into her world.

FrostinatorFashion xx

1 comment:

  1. Omg I Heart LIndsey too!! I read this book so fast that I immediately turned to the beginning and re-read it while I was frantically trying to hunt down a WHSmith to purchase the other three!! I'm on the last third of I heart Vegas now, cannot wait to finish it (but at the same time deaperately don't want it to end!) and I've got a number of friends addicted too!!! I'm single in the city of London and needless to say, have more time for the leisure of reading than you do with your kiddies, I usually read 4/5 books a week and I WANT MORE LINDSEY!!! This series should definitely be made into films and I hate to brag but I'm always right about what books should be made into films!!! Enjoy I Heart London...I can't wait to find out all about Angie's next chapter!!!x

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts